Monday, September 16, 2013

Black is the new black.


If you think black is boring, I'm here to convince you it's time to think again.  

First things first: yes, I always wear black (or a monochrome palette of black, white and grey if I'm feeling cray-zay) but I often find myself on a self-inflicted guilt trip over my lack of interest in experimenting with colour – until recently... 



You see, I've come to realise that nailing a head-to-toe black-on-black ensemble takes just as much skill as any colourful combination of mixed prints and layering. Black is what I'm drawn to and it's what I feel best in, but that doesn't mean it has to be boring. 

 

A perfect example is the classic black suit. The shape and attention to detail makes all the difference. 

I love the way this Karen Millen blazer works with the vest layered underneath. The sheer sleeves keep things exciting and make it the perfect trans-seasonal piece. I've also taken a liking to wearing a vest as a top – it gives a bit of a masculine, structured appeal. Oh, and it also helps that the pants are hands down the best (yes, I really mean that) fit I've ever come across. 

I loved this outfit so much, I wore it on Vogue Fashion's Night Out. I know it aint no Saint Laurent, but this suit makes me feel Le Smoking. 



Wearing Karen Millen dress, Zara bag and Alexander Wang boots. 

For the sake of having a more feminine option (and keeping my mother happy), I always have a great black and white printed dress on standby. The addition of a bit of white lightens the heaviness of a LBD, making it way more appropriate for daytime and the warmer months!




See, even my camera got the monochrome memo. 

HAVE A GREAT WEEK! X

Up next: how to fake perfect brows (in gifs). 




More from me:



16 comments :

Style and Paper said...

Amazing black outfit, perfection, the sheer sleeves are awesome. The second look is great too.

Charlotte said...

Wow I love the two outfits!
Black is my fave thing to wear !!

fashionfixeshearts.blogspot.com

Jill Lansky said...

Love these looks.. I always find myself in black as well, and am learning to love it!

Stephanie G said...

that's a really nice black suit. i think black is one of those colours that is easy to wear but hard to master. love the gold stud accessories - definitely fno worthy!

steph / absolutely-fuzzy.com

Erin said...

Love the graphic wall- really makes your outfit pop!

xx Erin

Brigadeiro said...

Gorgeous pieces and outfits! I love black because then you can focus on the detailing/textures/silhouettes they are in!

xx

Brigadeiro's Blog

Dark Blue Stripes said...

I love both monochrome options. Particularly the first look. The sheer sleeves on the jacket are a great touch.

Christie x

darkbluestripes.com

rachel said...

you look fantastic, especially love the first look. so so chic x

Glühwürmchen said...

Love ist!!
Xx, Vic


www.gluehwurmi.blogspot.com

Claire Thompson said...

That clutch is fantastic! A beautiful post, I love your styling.

http://wear-it-to-work.blogspot.co.uk/

jas said...

you are absolutely stunning - of course you would look good in just about anything, including black. love the blazer with sheer sleeves!

reckless abandon blog

Rachel Wee said...

i agree! black never fails. you look amazing!
sydney fashion blog
sydney fashion blog

tina astra said...

You have an amazing blog!!!!
t.

http://wherecanifindthe.blogspot.com

cleartheway said...

I love classy classic black. Your shoes at the top are JUST BEAUTIFUL. Love them.

Kate from Clear the Way

Amy Britton said...

GREAT find on the Karen Millen suit set & vest. No doubt a very versatile investment. Timeless & super chic.

http://bretelle.com.au

Sheffie said...

When in doubt, always choose black ;)

love your outfit here and those shoes are killer!

www.fashion-rant.com